Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Drying veggies today

Today is veggie drying day.  I'm actually surprised it took me so long to get it all ready and started in the dehydrator.   (almost 2 hours)
I started with cherry tomatoes and two large tomatoes on their last legs.  A green pepper, 4 or 5 mushrooms, a celery, and 3 potatoes (sliced and blanched for 3 minutes)

I'm going to vacuum seal them into canning jars.

With the potatoes I'm going to try experiment and replicate the boxed cheesy potatoes you buy in the store.  I have a bag of powdered cheese, and a powdered sour cream (not sure if I'll use that or not)



Celery
Tomato

Green Pepper

Mushrooms



At 125 degrees, the drying time as follows:
Potato sliced medium (mandoline) = 5 hours
Green pepper, roughly chopped = 7 hours
Mushrooms sliced = 5 hours
Celery sliced = 6 hours
Tomato sliced = 6 hours
Cherry tomatoes cut in half = 10 hours (and some were still a little soft)



No comments: